The SWAN Online Catalog provides access to the System Wide Automated Network of the Reaching Across Illinois Library System (RAILS).
SWAN is a multi-type library consortium of 80 public, special, and academic libraries in suburban Chicagoland with a combined collection of over 8 million volumes that grows larger every day.
This catalog may be searched in a variety of ways: By author, title, author & title, subject, keyword, call number, or ISBN or ISSN number.
Using Your New Library Catalog
Questions? Please ask us in person at the library, or call us at (708) 331-5262.
All PINs Have Been Reset
- All PINs were reset on Tuesday, April 14, 2015 as the last four digits of each account’s primary phone number.
- Need help determining your PIN? Ask us at the library check-out desk or call us at (708) 331-5262.
Login To Your Patron Account
- Access our new catalog directly at https://catalog.swanlibraries.net/shs
– If you have bookmarked any catalog pages before April 14, 2015 those bookmarks will need to be updated.
- Click “My Account” in the upper right corner to request checkouts, holds, pay fines and more.
- Within your account page you may also view your personal information, change your PIN, and set your preferences.
Change Your PIN
Once you have logged in to your account, you may change your PIN if you desire. Here’s how:
- Click on the “Personal Information” tab.
- Click “Change PIN.”
- Enter your current PIN (the last four digits of your primary phone number).
- Enter your desired new PIN.
- Confirm your new PIN by entering it again.
- Click “Update.”
Your new PIN should now be saved.
Questions? Please ask us at the library check-out desk, or call us at (708) 331-5262.
Set Your Preferences
With the new catalog comes new opportunities for setting personal preferences in the “Preferences” section of your account page. These include:
- “Default Language” lets you select which language you want the system to use.
- “Default My Account Tab” lets you select which tab opens when you access your account.
- “Default Checkouts View” lets you choose to view your digital checkouts or library checkouts when you first open the tab.
- “Show my checkout history” and “Record my checkout history” enable the system to keep track of materials you borrow.
Search Your Library Catalog
New with the new catalog, search once to find physical and digital materials.
- Type your search term in the search box at the top of the page and click “Search.”
- Browsable results will appear in the middle of the page.
- Look to the left for ways to fine-tune your results by format, author, language, and more.
- Create more specific searches with the two drop-down boxes in the search bar.
– The first drop-down limits results to only physical materials, only digital materials, or only materials owned by your home library.
– The second drop-down allows you to search by title, author, subject, and more.
- Results can be sorted by relevance, title, author or more with the drop-down at the upper right.
Once you have logged in to your account, you may renew some items. Here’s how:
- Click the check box to the left of the item you’d like to renew.
- Click the “Renew” button.
- Confirm that you wish to renew the selected item.
Put An Item On Hold
- After finding an item, click “Place Hold.”
- If you are not logged in, you will be asked to enter your card number and PIN.
- The item will appear on your account page under the “Holds” tab.
Check Out A Digital Item
In the new catalog, one big change is that ebooks and digital audiobooks (from eRead Illinois and OverDrive) are available for checkout directly from the catalog.
- After logging in and finding an item, select either the “Download” button (for available now content) or the “Place Hold” button (for items that are checked out.)
- Follow the prompts to select the format you need (when multiple options are available.)
See What Items You Have Checked Out
- The “Checkouts” tab has three sections: “Library Checkouts,” “Digital Checkouts,” and “Checkout History.”
- If you have any overdue items, an alert icon will appear in this tab.
– The “Library Checkouts” tab shows items that you currently have checked out.
– The “Digital Checkouts” tab shows ebooks and other digital materials that you currently have checked out.
– If you have chosen to keep a record of your checkout history, you can view it under the “Checkout History” section.
Features of Your New Library Catalog