- COVID-19 Updates
- About Us
Item request has been placed! ×
Item request cannot be made. ×
South Holland Public Library is committed to user confidentiality. The confidentiality of library records is a core part of library ethics and the South Holland Public Library follows the Code of Ethics of the American Library Association.
Confidentiality and your library record
Under the Illinois General Assembly Library Records Confidentiality Act, ILCS Chapter 75, Section 70 “The registration and circulation records of a library are confidential information. No person shall publish or make any information contained in such records available to the public…”
Confidentiality extends to information sought or received, materials consulted, borrowed, and includes database search records, reference interviews, circulation records, interlibrary loan transactions, registration records, and all other personally identifiable uses of library materials, facilities, or services.
Circulation, registration information, and information retrieval records may not be disclosed except to:
• The cardholder (with card or other proper id). NOTE: This is regardless of age or relationship. For example, parents cannot be told what materials a child has checked out without the child’s consent.
• Staff of South Holland Public Library acting within the scope of their duties in the administration of the library system and in facilitating interlibrary loans.
• Persons authorized by the cardholder to access the individual’s records identified by a signed note of permission given by the cardholder.
• Representatives of any local, state, or federal government, pursuant to subpoena or search warrant authorized under the authority of federal, state, or local law relating to civil, criminal, or investigative power. Upon receipt of any such subpoena or search warrant, the Library President will consult with legal counsel to determine if the subpoena or search warrant is in proper form and if there is a valid basis for its issuance before providing confidential information.
The Library occasionally conducts promotional campaigns to inform the community of our services. The Library at those times use patron email or postal address for the library’s internal mailing lists.
The Library does not sell, lease, or otherwise distribute or disclose patron name, email address, postal address, telephone number, or other personal information to outside parties.
Confidentiality, our website and our social media sites
When patrons visit the South Holland Public Library website, the Library collects and stores only information to measure the number of visitors to different areas of the site to assist in making the site more useful to you. The information includes:
• the address (IP) of the patron’s computer or Internet provider
• the date and time the patron accessed our site
• the pages that are accessed and how patrons navigate the site
• the Internet address of the website that referred the patron to the Library’s site
Website data is separate from individual library account data. The Library cannot look up patron library records to determine what websites were visited.
The South Holland Public Library also offers a wireless network that allows patrons to connect to the Internet at our location. Please be aware that data accessed and sent over the South Holland Public Library wireless network is not encrypted.
A cookie is a small data file written to a computer’s hard drive. They are generated by websites to provide users with a personalized and often simplified online experience. Certain third party database services within the Library’s website, such as the Library’s subscription databases will generate and store cookies on user’s computer’s hard drives if users engage in such services. If users choose not to accept the cookies generated by such third party database applications, they will not be able to use some of those services online; use of the remainder of the Library’s website will not be affected. Be assured that cookies, by themselves, cannot be used to reveal or discover the identity of the individual user nor are they collected or stored on any South Holland Public Library server. Acceptance of any third party database cookie on this site will not compromise patron anonymity while using our website.
Web forms and email
If a patron initiates a reference inquiry, or subscribes to the Library’s newsletter, or submits a form on the Library’s website, this information is considered as part of the borrower account and protected as outlined above.
Online suggestions and other general email to the library which do not apply to borrowing or intellectual pursuits may be considered public records under Illinois State Law ILCS, Chapter 75.
If patrons leave the South Holland Public Library website
The South Holland Public Library’s website contains links to external websites not maintained by the Library. The Library cannot be responsible for user privacy when visiting outside websites. Please consult the privacy policies of those websites should there be questions regarding their use.
Notification of Changes